Monday, November 19, 2012

Carolina Beach Lake Birds

My beautiful Great Egret was back and posing today after a VERY rainy Sunday (at least four inches).  

It was definitely a good bird day  at Carolina Beach Lake with the following in about an hour of time on a very cloudy afternoon:


Laughing Gull
Ring billed Gull
Cormorant
Pied Billed Grebe
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Ibis
Great Blue Heron
Great White Egret
Bufflehead
Boat Tailed Grackle   
Starling
Pigeon
American Coot
Mallards
Domestic ducks

I think this is the first time I have seen a Great Blue Heron down here at the Lake although I have certainly seen them elsewhere.  He posed with the Ring Billed Gulls as well as he landed right in the middle of a flock of them!

The Ibis are a common sight this time of year.  They wander in the empty lot across the street almost every day as well as down at the Lake.
This the first time I have ever been able to identify both Greater and Lesser Scaups at the lake at the same time.  Here are some Lesser Scaups swimming with two male Bufflehead ducks.  I usually see the Buffleheads out in the surf rather than in the fresh water lake.  The Lesser Scaup is identified by the head that somewhat peaks in the middle.

You can see the flatter head and the longer bill on this Greater Scaup!!  Exciting to see them both on the same day.  The Greater Scaups were hanging out alone while the Lessers were with the Buffleheads and Coots.


This is a female Bufflehead.
My Pied Billed Grebes were also off by themselves at the other end of the lake.

Last but not least, a nice view of the Cormorant who also is more frequently seen in salt water.

I figured you didn't need to see Laughing Gulls, Ring Billed Gulls or Coots!!

Because of the very rainy days we had this weekend, I got lots of machine quilting done.  I have found the secret is definitely to watch dvds as it helps keep me centered and not so stressed.  The machine has been behaving for me again!  I finished the third of my "serendipity" quilts and am working on the fourth.  Three more to go after this one and then one more quilt after that.  Then I can start something new.  

I have made major progress on my hand quilting project as well and may have to always have one going as I have enjoyed sitting in bed each night quilting for a couple of hours.  It may actually get done by the quilt show.  My left hand fingers are a little ragged though!

No comments: