Friday, January 11, 2013

Oystercatchers at Low Tide

 Still in search of the Great Horned Owl, I headed back to Carolina Beach State Park the other day but didn't even hear him this time.  However, it was late afternoon on a sunny day and I thought the vegetation was really beautiful so snapped a couple of photos so you can get an idea of what a nice walk it is.  It is wooded and swampy in areas with little bridges to take you over the swampy part.  I am always amazed that I don't hear more bird sounds though as it is such a nice patch of woods.


 Lots of reflections in the swampy area here.




 The Lake remains drained and more so than I saw it two years ago.  I am sure that every Ibis in southeastern NC has congregated there as I have counted at least fifty the last couple of days.  There are always egrets and herons there now as well.  A few Scaups remain but even the Hooded Merganser has deserted.  The Coots are all making do though I think the population is about half of what it was last year.


I try to stop down at Ft. Fisher each day to see if there is anything interesting.  The Red Throated Loon was down there diving in some pretty rough waves so it was difficult to get a good picture -- just enough to be recognizable.



I also head down the end of the island to see if I can spot the Oystercatchers on a nicer day.  I am still having to look into the sun as it is late in the day but was pleased to find not only Oystercatchers (one of my favorite birds with their bright red bills) but several other birds as well.  Some I didn't see  until I reviewed my pictures when I got home.  They are all pretty far away so it is hard to see what you have!

I was very pleased to see my Marbled Godwit again although he was really far away and flew off pretty quickly.  One day I will get a good picture!!

I noticed this Yellowlegs in my pictures when I got home! Too bad I didn't take more pictures.  I don't know whether it is a Greater or Lesser but suspect it is a Lesser Yellowlegs.



I was taking a picture of the gull in the middle here which is a Herring Gull but noticed a Red Breasted Merganser in the background!!


There were lots of Oystercatchers yesterday when I went down there.  Low tide was supposed to have been a couple of hours earlier but I suspect it is quite a bit later here in the sound.

What a handsome bird!!




One facing forward and one the rear view!





1 comment:

Margaret Cooter said...

On the radio recently, someone mentioned that female oystercatchers have a longer bill than males - so that if food gets scarce they can dig deeper and are more likely to survive.