Saturday, February 16, 2013

Last of the Quilts Machine Quilted -- Ahhhh....

Finally the last of the basted quilts I brought down here has been finished!  Since the weather has been so nice, it has been a struggle to stay inside at the sewing machine.  

This basket quilt was the result of a year long exchange with quilting friends where we made one block a month to be given to a designated person fulfilling their requirements.  I had asked for my blocks to all be on point, have muslin colored backgrounds and be in the brown family.  I used one of those blue dissolving markers to mark the outside of circle of each wreath and to mark the corner motifs in the alternating muslin blocks.  Then I just quilted however I felt like it in the baskets.  In many, I added flowers or more leaves.  I decided instead of sponging out the markings, I would wash in cold water which gives it a much more puckery feeling than if I had left it alone.  I am not a big fan of puckery but using cotton thread almost guarantees that will happen even though I always wash my battings to pre-shrink.

This gives a little better feel for the feathered wreaths and corner motifs.  I didn't do any quilting in the borders this time!  I did free hand machine stitch around most of the individual pieces in each of the pieced and appliqued blocks though.  It was very fast!

This Red Breasted Merganser was very very difficult to get a picture of as he was diving almost continuously down at Ft. Fisher at the park two days ago.

Here is the first Yellow Rumped Warbler I have seen this year among the reeds at Carolina Beach State Park.  I think I am up to well over 60 different birds that I have seen there -- I may do a blog entry just on that one day!  If you blow this one up,  you can just see a touch of the  yellow on his rump!

I got this picture this afternoon as I wanted to get a walk in before it rained or snowed!

No comments: