Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Start of a New Quilt -- Decisions, Decisions....

In keeping with the bird theme, I found this fabric at Joann's (a fabric chain) and thought it would be great for a one block wonder or some type of the Serendipity quilts I had been making.  The repeat was a large one -- probably 24 to 27 inches.



Here is the beginning of the arrangement -- surrounding the dark blocks with the lighter ones.



I had decided that I would probably do a "one block" quilt as I thought it was too bright with the addition of the fabrics I had picked out for the Serendipty arrangement.  However, even switching these blocks around, it was much too busy for a one block quilt as you can see here so I gave up on that idea.  So now to try to alternate arrangements...



This was my first though.  I would fill in the missing blocks with some solid hexagons.  No, don't like that one...


Then I thought I would take the easy way out and put solid color triangles in the empty spaces.  At least you can begin to see the blocks here which are all pretty interesting (you can tell I love radial symmetry).

After some thought and a look back at some older quilts, I decided that I would expand on this arrangement for the blocks.  This was a small "stack and whack" I made for the 2004 (I think that was the year) Hoffman Challenge.  I have never seen this particular arrangement before but it is all hexagons, some plain hexagons and some with stars in the middle and then I used different color backgrounds.  I think it displays the blocks well and adds a little interest.  So now I have to figure out how big to make the diamond shapes and background triangles.   The hexagon blocks in this quilt are only about 2 1/2 to 3 inches across so the blocks in this new quilt will be at least double that.  I am hoping that it will be big enough for a queen sized bed when finished.  I ended up hand quilting the above piece as it was not easy to figure out how to machine quilt it!

3 comments:

MarchAnn said...

Wow that is so nice and very bright. I really like it.

F. Gloade said...

Wow! Your work is beautiful. I enjoy your nature photography and your quilts. I have no idea how you figure out the cutting of the fabric to produce such masterpieces.

Janet Brady said...

Hi Beth, I found your blog by hitting "next blog" on mine. I love your one block wonder the colors are so bright! I made one and a couple of 8 section kaleidoscope quilts. They are very addicting. I like your idea to put space in between the blocks. It gave me the idea to make rainbow hexagons with all the colors of the quilt in blender fabrics.