Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Quilting, Quilting, Quilting

Two years ago (at least) Jan Krentz taught a class on Lone Stars at GVQC and I took it just for the heck of it (hadn't even realized that I had the book the class was based on until later). I started this quilt in that class and in fact made an additional one that is larger and has molas (from Priscilla Kibbee) featured in it.  I was having a bit of struggle trying to figure out how to quilt the star points.  I finally took out the book to see how Linda had quilted it and decided that it was a good choice.  I wasn't as crazy about some of the other choices so did my own thing.  This is probably one of the first quilts that i really found fun to machine quilt although smaller quilts are soooo much easier to work with.


I decided to do "feather" quilting in all of the varied rocket points.  I do like quilted feathers.


Here you can see more feather quilting and also the "1/4 inch" quilting in the star segments that surround the big star.  My friend Janet told me that this pattern is the machine  equivalent of the old 1/4 inch around seams that you do in hand quilting.

I have done all the quilting except for the background at this point which will just be simple stippling which is tedious but the best choice I think for this quilt as nothing shows on the black.  I have used two different variegated threads for the quilting -- one shades of green and one shades of orange through green.  Hopefully the quilt will be done tomorrow except for the binding.

2 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I believe you mean 'Jan' Krentz

LOVE your blog!

Cherie B.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I believe you mean 'Jan' Krentz.

LOVE your blog!

Cherie B.