Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Some Experiments Work Better Than Others...

 I decided that I would try to do some smaller pieces than the 44" x 44" size than I have been doing so I made them 1/4 the size at 22" x 22".  They were somewhat successful.  This one and the next were my two favorites out of the eight I did.  I haven't decided whether to follow up and do some more.


I think this was my overall favorite.  I used purple, strong (or Chinese Red), orange and burnt orange and through in a little of some very old black.

This one was tolerable and obviously uses a lot of the same colors as the above one.  The original intent of these pieces was to combine them into one quilt made up of kalaidoscopic blocks.  May still do this....


This one wasn't bad as well.  Lots of purple and red in this one.  

The opposite of the above piece.  I lay the pieces next to each other on the rack but facing in opposite directions and these two most accurately reflect what happens.

This is one of the "not so successful" pieces as it is so much darker on the one side in the middle.

This is one of the larger pieces that I did and I do like it and consider it moderately succcessful.

This is the second of the large pieces and I like it pretty well.  Now to figure out what I am going to do with these large pieces!!


This is the third and the least successful of the big pieces as I would like more variety in the color even those the star is very obvious.

I am hoping that some new fabric that will be delivered tomorrow will work for this type of work as I have actually almost used up all my pfd fabric that I would use for this.  A couple of years ago I had almost 1000 yards for dyeing but have worked through probably 600 yards in the past couple of years.

3 comments:

Susan E. J. White said...

I can't believe there are no other comments. These are incredible! I don't see why you say moderately succesful! Will you tell me, after the fabric is folded, and I assume tied, since you don't flip the fabric does the melted wter and dye just penetrate on through? Or don't you tie it? Does it lie flat and folded?

Beth Brandkamp said...

I got better as time went on. I didn't think the centers of these were as good as they could be. I don't flip the fabric, just let the dye seep through all the layers. I don't tie it either although I may try some of that at some point. Sometimes I lay it flat, sometimes I scrunch it. It is harder to scrunch these smaller pieces. I think one of the mandala blogs has a review of my process which you may have found by now.

Susan E. J. White said...

Thanks Beth. I have found a lot of information in your posts and I really appreciate the time it takes to share it all.