Friday, May 5, 2017

A Couple of New Birds for Me!!

I have been in charge of trying to manage my daughter's pool before she moves here and I sit on her deck with my camera in hand.  She has a pond edging her property and their are woods on the other two sides.  She doesn't have feeders up yet but I have managed to see two new (to me) birds this week  This is a Great Crested Flycatcher who sings quite loudly and quite a bit!!  Here he is mid-song!

He turned to watch me and gave me a glimpse of his yellow belly and the little bit of red on his sides.


 You can see his "great" crest here.  That was how I knew he was a flycatcher.
I took this the next day and the picture isn't too good as he was bac klit but you can definitely see his  yellow belly and reddish tail here.  I haven't seen him the last few days.

The second new visitor was a Brown Thrasher which is a fairly good sized bird.  He was very good about posing in several different positions so I could correctly identify him!

You can see his wing marks here and his long legs and tail.

He was stunning against the Carolina blue sky.

A Tufted Titmouse stopped long enough so I could finally get his picture.

A couple of Carolina Wrens stopped for a visit one day.  I thought they were going to set up housekeeping in the balcony but looks like they thought better after seeing me.

A male Cardinal stopped one day to get his picture taken.

There have been frequent visits from a male and female Bluebird.  Here is the more colorful male.


Here is the female who is not quite as colorful.  I think they are nesting somewhere nearby.

I will miss seeing all the colorful birds at my daughter's house.

2 comments:

Claire said...

Hope all is well as you haven't posted for weeks.

Elizabeth said...

It was my transition back to Rochester that took me some time. Then I got the worst cold I have had in probably 20 years. It's been three weeks almost and still not completely gone but almost. Then trying to get a quilt basted and finished for the show and all the labels so have been very busy (9 pieces in the show)!!