Thursday, January 18, 2018

Progress and a Lot of Birds!!

We are again experiencing very cold days down here in southeastern North Carolina although luckily we missed the snow this time although there are spots with ice frozen from the rain a couple of days ago.  Carolina Beach Lake has seen abundant bird life this January!!  The parking lot where I usually go is closed so it has been a bit of a challenge to get some decent pictures.  This morning there were more than 50 Ibis huddled together trying to keep warm.

A lovely Gadwall, the first I have seen on this lake (which is really a big pond).

A male Bufflehead dipping and diving.

The Gadwall again with a Ring-necked Duck (the first time I have seen one of these down here).

This is a Redhead which I do see fairly frequently down here.

This is a male Northern Shoveler.  There were five or six of these and they spent almost 100% of their time as the next picture shows!

As my friend Becky says, Peace!!

This is a Greater Scaup which is common enough but I usually see only the Lessers down here on this pond

 A couple of Ft. Fisher sunset pictures from the other night.


Liked all the color in the sky!

Horray!!  All the rows are completed.  No more Snails Trails to piece and then unpiece.  I can't begin to tell you all the times I had to undo blocks after I had already set them in a row.  Also, there is no seam longer than 4 inches in this quilt and you have to backstitch at the beginning and end of each addition.  

I am in the process of beginning the auditioning of borders even though I still have considerable stitching to do before I get there.  I am trying to find something that kind of blends in with all the lights and I think this piece is it and it looks like I have enough of it (on the left hand side).  I will put this 2 inch border around the whole quilt as I want to soothe down all the motion in this quilt.

I think I am then going to add a 3/4 inch to one inch border using the turquoise that is in the middle of each Snails Trail block.  A darker purple or blue border will complete it.  Nothing fancy for borders as the quilt is making too much noise as it is and I want people to be able to sleep under it without nightmares!

I have begun sewing the rows together and putting on the edge pieces.  Almost as tedious as making all those Snails Trails as you have to turn the quilt one side to the other every four inches and sew a little seam.

No comments: