Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Top is Essentially Done!!

Well, here are four rows together.  When sewing the rows together, you pin a 4 inch section, sew a quarter inch from each end, back stitching at each end.  Then I was turning the quilt over and sewing the next four inches from the other side.  At this point, I decided it would save some time to at least sew each of these 4 inch seams from the same side so that is how I did the rest.

Here all the rows are finally sewn together with their filler pieces in place.  It took a couple of days to get this done watching a very very annoying Netflix series (The Killing).  I calculate that so far there has been about the equivalent of a 1000 page book and we still don't know "who done it"!!

Here two of the borders (the background and the aqua) attached and I have pinned up the third to make sure that the color was okay.

Finally done!! most order.  The quilt now measures about 81 x 82.  I will save quilting to when I get back to New York as there will be a lot of freehand.

Here is a closeup of the completed quilt showing the left hand side.


Here it shows the view from the top.  My room isn't big enough to get the whole quilt in a picture with my camera.  I can get it with my phone camera but no flash!  

All in all I am pleased with how the quilt turned out.  I would have loved to have a five or six inch outer border instead of the current 2 1/2 inches but oh well.  I think the borders really enhance this quilt, especially the addition of the background fabric first border.

Next on the agenda is to make slipcovers for my dining room chairs which the new kittens will destroy if I don't get them covered.  The chairs are currently sitting in a bedroom!!

No comments: