Friday, February 16, 2018

A Little Bit of Dyeing

Two weeks ago we did some dyeing at Dianne's house.  I finally used up the remainder of my 100 yard bolt.  I just did some gradations as I wanted primarily lots of greens as I use a lot of green.  I also use a lot of purple and was trying for some darker purple.  This was a gradation of Intense Blue that I added 2gms of grape dye to each baggie.  There was a yard in each bag and I started out with 10 grams/intense blue dye in the darkest of these.


This was a gradation of navy with 2 gms of Sun Yellow added to each baggie.

This was a gradation of Dark Green with the Sun Yellow.  Looks to me like ProChem's Dark Green is a mixture of Sun Yellow and Navy!!  I may  not have even separated these properly but will have lots and lots of greens.  They are actually a little more limey than these pictures show.

After finishing up the baby quilt for my daughter to give to her friend, I had to return to my other required sewing which was slip covers for our dining room chairs so that they can come out of the bedroom and be kitty-proof!!  This was my test with real fabric but  not the final fabric.  They will be passable but that is all they need to be!!

I am still playing with this spinning piece and found the accompanying pieces which I had forgotten I had.  They are a bit dull but I think putting borders on the little pieces will perk things up a bit.  I just have to decide what to put between the pieces.  I think any pieced block would greatly detract from the mandalas (and that might be a good idea in this case!!) but may go with white or a light color of some kind in this negative space.  It is evolving but first have to finish those pesky slipcovers!!  The good news is that I have plenty of the black pseudo suede in my stash down here and will even have a couple of yards left!

No comments: