The green is really a richer green than shows up here. You can see that I did decide to go with a very thin strip of white going around the panel and I cut off a couple of inches from the width so that it is a square 24 inches. And then the fun began!!
I thought I had calculated correctly the width of the different strips around the blocks but I ended up ripping out stitches twice on the first block as the first was too small and the second too large (I thought). So I made four for the bottom of the quilt and after all this realized that my calculations for the second time I did the block were correct. Oh well, will improvise as usual!!
I do like the effect of the different colors taken from the panel though. For some reason the greens aren't looking as nice as they do in person,
So I decided I would add very narrow strips of the darker green between the blocks. Shown here are much wider strips than there will be. Just have to figure out what to do with the corners. Hopefully my arithmetic skills will improve tomorrow. Having a pencil and paper handy will help I think!
My current plan is then to add at least one more of the darker green borders and I am toying with adding some sort of black border as well.
Finished all the outside blocks today and it did take some time. Here they are all done and situated.
Here I tested the adding of the green strips between the blocks but even at 1/2 inch, they are too wide so will have to undo a bit. I knew the measurement had to be less than 1/2 finished but now I am thinking it will only be 1/4 of an inch. Then I will surround them with another strip of the green and then think about what to do next (if anything). Good to be creative again even though my arithmetic skills are being challenged!
Almost finished here and you will notice no green between the tiles. I must have made my seams to small or something but just no room for the green inserts which is okay as this is the way I originally envisioned it.
And here is the top completed (and even a little sunshine this afternoon). I will quilt it and I think I will finish it with a flange binding with a little yellow and black as the main color. Of course that means I will be machine binding it unless I can figure out how to do with hand binding.