Saturday, February 27, 2010
Saturday, February 20, 2010
The gulls have finally returned and I don't know what that means. They have been absent for the most part of the past couple of weeks. Something irritated them here and they all decided to flee. They are all the very common Ring Billed Gull.
Looking out over the winter lake. There are places that look like little volcanoes where the water has come up through the ice.
This is the Red Breasted Merganser and you can really see his irridescent green head in this shot. Much different than how they looked in Florida!
Friday, February 19, 2010
This was the "before" with the sun yellow, golden yellow and then basic brown squirted on top. In this pile were one of the large pieces plus the smaller fan folded piece kind of tucked around the outside.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
I was whining yesterday that there was hardly enough snow to do the snow resist dyeing and then the skies opened up. The "trace to one inch" turned into about 7 inches of "lake effect". I can't complain as I was safely inside and it makes gathering snow a lot easier although it is very heavy wet snow so I will order something a little lighter the next time!
I did scour another 20 yards or so as there is supposed to be more snow next week and we have to take advantage while we can! I will have to check out the ice rink which is within walking distance of my house because the Zamboni should make good snow scrapings according to friends!
Monday, February 15, 2010
Here is the snow piled about 4 inches high on top of 4 yards of fabric squeezed into an area of about 14 x 18 inches.
This time, I decided to mix up 10% solutions of dyes -- intense blue, navy, turquoise, strong orange, sun yellow and the blue-violet -- all these are from Pro Chem so I used their names. I have tried a slightly different arrangement this year so we shall see how it works. I used needlepoint canvas to cover some large flat boxes. As I had no way to attach the canvas to the sides, I placed a smaller box in the middle to hold it up given the weight of the wet fabric, dyes and all that snow. I have two setups downstairs, each which will hopefully work well with four yards of scrunched up flattened fabric so I can do 8 yards at a time (we shall see).
Here is the "dark" (10%) solution on top of the snow. It is intense blue and then a mix of strong orange and navy and then threw in some yellow in the areas where there was no coverage.
This is what the darks looked like before they were nuked and then washed out.
Here are some examples of how the darks turned out. Each photo shows a piece about 36 inches by 22 inches (fat half).
This is the "lights" which used 5% solutions of the violet/blue, turquoise and then some yellow on top. I may have thrown in a little of the 10% yellow and violet blue after covering.
This is the lights before nuking and washing.
Here are some of the better areas of the lights. Again, each piece is about 36 inches x 22 inches.
Saturday, February 13, 2010
This was a lovely piece that Norma brought in to get some suggestions on how to get a mitered border with a Jinny Beyer print so that it lined up appropriately. Janet Root was right there to help!
This is a piece that Janet was working on which is a good example of the use of transparency. She was finishing it up as it was only on a design wall here.
I don't know who the quilter was but I thought these were very interesting small compositions.
Janet Root and Marcia Birken are working on measuring Marcia's Fall Migration quilt getting ready for the borders. You always measure an inside area as the outsides often stretch out of shape. Marcia's quilt is made up of very luscious batiks in browns and blue greys.
Judy Deyo was also working on her Fall Migration piece. The color combination was stunning and there are cute kitties inside each block!
Thursday, February 11, 2010
We are having a perfectly lovely sunny day here in upstate New York. We missed yet another of those pesky storm systems which is just fine with me!
This was my first time back at GVQC in a couple of months so had some catching up to do. Our speaker this month was Aafke Steenhuis from Ithaca NY. I had the nice opportunity to spend dinner with her and a small group last night and then see her talk today. She is just a lovely woman who went from very traditional quiltmaking to art quilts in a very short period of time. She is originally from the Netherlands but has lived here in the US since the 70s. She has a wicked sense of humor and has lived a lot of life (among other things she had 9 children).
During Show and Tell, Claire Welch showed her beautiful quilt made with blocks following Paula Nadelstern's techniques -- just a stunning quilt!
This was a top completed from a class taken with Pat Pauly -- lovely colors and a very nice quilt top!
This was a composition using gradation hand dyed fabric -- really, really nice -- I don't know whether this was an original design or not but beautifully executed!
I also took a picture of my piece from the Holy Mola challenge. This was the completed quilt which is all pieced and then machine quilted. The mola that inspired the piece is underneath it.
Okay, had to sneak in one duck! The sun was brightly shining so of course most of the ducks made themselves scarce so there were only a few Oldsquaws and Greater Scaup hanging out today. Can't seem to get the conditions and the ducks all at the same time!!