Thursday, February 18, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For!

Well, how is this? I collaged the 8 photos of the two two yard pieces of snow dyes I did yesterday! They turned out just as I had envisioned and will be very useful for a quilt I will be starting soon -- think bird background. You really have to double click to see all the detail. These were done with basically intense blue, deep navy and some sun yellow thrown on top. I am beginning to run out of dyes now. I used a pretty heavy concentration again of the blues but did water down the yellow a bit. One piece had more yellow on it than the other. The above is a total of four yards which makes a lot less mess in my dye space! Four more yards are batching now!

I was whining yesterday that there was hardly enough snow to do the snow resist dyeing and then the skies opened up. The "trace to one inch" turned into about 7 inches of "lake effect". I can't complain as I was safely inside and it makes gathering snow a lot easier although it is very heavy wet snow so I will order something a little lighter the next time!

I did scour another 20 yards or so as there is supposed to be more snow next week and we have to take advantage while we can! I will have to check out the ice rink which is within walking distance of my house because the Zamboni should make good snow scrapings according to friends!

1 comment:

Dianne Robinson said...

Hi Beth
I've been following your snow dyeing and am hoping that mine will turn out as exciting. My first batch last year certainly didn't ! I will definitely try nuking the fabric - which means hauling yet another dish out of kitchen use and putting it in the dye tool inventory!
Thanks for your pictures and input.