Saturday, October 12, 2019

Basting the Modern Way Using Basting Spray and Pool Noodles!

This will be a blog post with very few pictures but just a reminder to myself so I won't forget how to get this done.  This technique is one I saw on Youtube and really is very easy once you get things all in the proper place.  It seemed so simple and yet later, I had a hard time visualizing what order things should be in so that it worked.  So here goes....

The equipment needed is three of those pool noodles, some straight pins and nicely ironed quilt top, quilt back and batting.

First, you need to roll those three components on the pool noodles.  This is done by (1) pinning the edge of the backing along the pool noodle in 4 or 5 places.  The right side of the fabric should be on the outside of the pool noodle and then, (2) carefully roll the fabric snugly around the noodle.  Do the same with the batting.  Do the same with the top EXCEPT have the wrong side facing out.

Now for the basting part.  Place the noodle with the backing in front of you and unroll it about 2 feet.  Spray with a basting spray -- I use the 505 spray.  I have used Sullivan's as well but that seems to put more mist in the air.  Next take the tube with the batting and starting right in front of you, roll it over the sprayed part neatly making sure there are no wrinkles.  I apply a little pressure, pulling it away from me once I have an edge basted down.  

 Next, spray the batting.  I don't attempt to spray the whole batt but do lines about a hand width apart as you would do with pins if you were pin basting.  Then take the roll with the quilt top and place it down over the batting.  Then you can pull the basted part toward you and roll out more of the backing and keep repeating the process until you have everything basted.

Here are the three parts all lined up right in front of me.  I actually did most of this sitting down as I am a bit mobility impaired right now.  Hopefully this time next year, I will be in better shape after planned surgery!

I have managed to get 8 tops basted this way over the last couple of mornings.  I now have batting to do several more.  So it is 9 down (one was already pin basted) and 15 to go.  This was a relatively painless way to go once I got the process down.  I had tried short cuts using only two noodles but didn't work nearly as flawlessly.  

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Just One More Post

In the process of getting things together for my winter in the south, I found this relatively ugly leaf print that I bought years ago.  I thought it might work up nicely into a four patch stack and whack and I think I was right.  This first set ended up being 6 1/2 inches finished (3 3/4 inch squares).  I then proceeded to try some that finished at 6 inches (3 1/2 inch squares) and then proceeded to do some that finished to 4 1/2 inches (2 3/4 inch squares).  I thought I would mingle them on point putting smaller finished squares between the big squares.  However....

This is the fabric which, although the pattern is big, only had about a 12 1/2 inch repeat.

The first bunch of squares on point (I always like things on point as seems to convey movement to me).

This is the second bunch of squares which finish to 6 inches and a test to see if I like the intersection and also to see if I like back around the squares.  No to the intersection and yes to the black.  I have found I really prefer with these "posie" blocks to have them standing some distance apart and individually framed. I really do like radial symmetry!!  

This is the third set of blocks which finish to 4 1/2 inches.  I am happy that you can still see a radial pattern in these even with the large blocks of color.

These will not get finished for awhile while I decide what to do.  These beg for some different settings which I always like to do.

I am heading down to winter home in a bit so unpacking my car will take a great deal of my attention for awhile!!