Monday, February 8, 2010

Duck Soup - Oh No, More Duck Pictures!

I have now made it a habit to stop up at the outlet when I am out on an errand trying to get better pictures of the ducks I have seen at a distance. What a surprise today to actually see two more ducks that I hadn't seen before! I must add that it is freezing cold up here but at least the camera continues to work! The outlet was almost totally frozen over today.
This is looking toward Lake Ontario from the outlet. Looks like duck soup down there!


This was the little bit of water on the bay that wasn't frozen solid -- snowmobilers were whizzing across the ice as I was watching. I think the heat of them continually swimming and diving is keeping the water thawed. I got a big kick out of the swans with their rear ends sticking up.

This is a Common Goldeneye. I knew they were frequent visitors to this area but this was the first I had seen!!


These are called White Winged Scoters and are very easy to distinguish. What a surprise when I came home and blew up my photos! I had never seen one of these before either!


This is the first time I have seen the Red Breasted Merganser with his full plummage!


I believe that the ducks in the foreground are Greater Scaups as opposed to the Lesser Scaups that I thought I had seen.
In this picture there are about six varieties of duck -- blow it up and how many can you identify!

There were a lot of Oldsquaws today although they were not anxious to get close to me! This was better than before and you can see their long pin tails in the back!

1 comment:

Gail said...

Wow - so cool! Great pictures - great ducks.