Friday, September 8, 2017

September GVQC Meeting with Pat Speth

It was a great first meeting of the year.  Our speaker was Pat Speth who has written several books on basically what to do with those 5 inch square charm packs although she includes several sizes in her books.  I was surprised to find it a really fun trunk show with lots of beautiful scrappy quilts.  This quilt, however, was my favorite of the many many baby quilts that were shown.  Such an easy pattern but so graphic.

You can tell I love scrap quilts (my first quilt was a scrap quilt before I even knew what that was!)  this is another of the baby quilts.  They moved them across the stage so fast and then just as they reached the center, they showed the backs.  I was about fifty feet away so the backs were of little interest to me!!  I used my telephoto lens with no flash.

The last of the baby quilts that I got a picture of!

 The next three were for the Wounded Warrier project.  We also made a large donation to the organization.





The next few quilts were just some from our show and tell to which I always look forward.  I loved this use of the black and whites with just a bit of color.  I am taking black and white fabric with me to the beach this year with the thought to use just a bit of color.

 
This was a Cathedral Window using a new technique.  The quilter said she wouldn't do it this way again!!


A nice sampler quilt.
This was definitely the star of the show and tell part of the program!!  I wish I knew who the quilter was so I could give her credit!!

Pat Speth (Pat Speth's Website) showed probably 25 quilts from her various books.  They are all beginner level quilts but just wonderful use of color and simple shapes.  I don't buy books anymore but I would be sorely tempted.  She just uses some variation of half square triangles to make the different shapes (large half square triangles, small squares, small half square triangles, fence post which is a rectangle with triangle in one corner0.  She cuts up the large half square triangles to make all these shapes.  She pointed out the basic shapes all through her lecture.  Lots of beautiful scrap quilts and I won't comment on most!  Do check out her website!
















This is Pat pointing out what units make up this quilt which even a beginner could do.  Not sure a beginner would have her color sense.  She had lots of delightful stories and I would recommend her for her trunk show and I assume her classes are good too although I couldn't take them because I had other commitments!

No comments: