Monday, September 3, 2018

Threads of Resistance in Rochester

I haven't posted in a month as I have been very busy quilting all those tops I put together in the past couple of months.  Add in a visit from my two daughters and my granddaughter and the blog has taken a back seat!!

I am also still recovering from eye surgery but at least now I can see the computer again which was a problem for awhile.  It has been three months for one eye and two months for the other and I still am putting drops in them!!  At least I am finally seeing progress.

In amidst all of this, two members of our art quilt group brought this wonderful exhibit to Rochester!!  I knew it was a political statement but was awed by the quality of the pieces as well as the many messages about life here.  There were 600 quilts entered with 60 chosen.  It has not been without controversy and has been cancelled at a couple of venues -- too bad as it was probably the best display of art quilts I have ever seen.  The one to the left was my favorite.  It is a picture of a 5 year old Syrian refugee  by Sandra Bryce.  It was a fairly large piece and stunning.


This is a closeup showing the wonderful detail and quilting.


This was Capitol guns and the message is obvious.  Neither of our political parties will stand up to the National Rifle Association lobby who continually send the message that any kind of gun control is bad.  Most of my gun loving friends even agree that assault rifles should not be in the hands of random individuals so it is not clear what our Congress is thinking ($).


Really liked this one as well demonstrating the swamp that is in Washington DC.  It is called Draining the Swamp which was supposed to happen but turns out it is worse than ever!!  I missed out on the names associated with several of these pieces as the signs weren't right next to the pieces and it was hard to marry the names with the quilts.


Part of the genesis of this display  comes from the attempt to quiet Elizabeth Warren.  This was a depiction of her.  It is called Nevertheless, She Persisted by Dawn Allen.


This piece was incredible as each of these pieces is probably 1/2 inch and this was a very large piece.  It is by Kathy York.


This was a depiction of the Women's Rally in Greenville , SC by Denise Webster.  This was my husband's favorite piece.

I note this as my husband was dragged to this exhibition as he is not a big quilt fan!!  He was super impressed and the first words after entering were that "there are real artists here".  He loves art museums.

As a result of seeing the exhibit, he posted invitations to his friends in the area recommending they go see it.

I came away with the overall feeling of intense anger that prompted these magnificent quilts.  For my overseas readers, please believe that a great many of us are unhappy with all that is happening and hoping for change.  This is the only political rant you will see from me.

You can see all the quilts here - Threads of Resistance Website -- Pictures of all the Quilts.


No comments: