Thursday, April 4, 2019

Evolution of the Little Green Heron

This is the photograph that was used to develop the small wall hanging..  The first time I did it, it was just the photo printed on fabric and then I quilted it.  I donated this to an auction supporting local nature efforts here in NC and was determined to do a more abstract version.. 




This is the image which is abstracted  a bit.  My first step had been to create a tracing of the original image and then to break it down.


I pin one of the images of which I had made 2 copies.  The other copy is colored and is numbered so I know which pieces go where.  I also have all the numbers on the freezer paper copy which I traced from my copies from Staples.

I have started sewing the pieces together.


Background is mostly done.


Lots of individual sections pinned up on the design wall.  All done except those most difficult part.


All sewn together but need a little bit of change so the bird shape is better.



Here I colored in the eye and appliqued a lighter green background piece near the tail.

It's all basted and ready to quilt.


All quilted.  I actually was doing some stippling in the background and undid the whole lot and went for the straightish lines in the background.


All bound and the sleeve added to the back.  I went with binding instead of facing as I felt that it needed to be pulled together a bit.  I used the same fabric that I used in the breast of the bird.

I am relatively pleased.  It was difficult as the backgrounds for these birds in the wild are so complex and the birds fade into the background.



3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Wow - that's a lot of pieces, but worth it for the final effect.

Bette said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!

Claire Welch said...

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I probably won't do all that, but love to know all the work that goes into a project! You have an amazing eye.