Monday, December 14, 2020

Some Recent Bird Sightings!


This is a female Hooded Merganser who was with her mate down at Carolina Beach Lake.

This is her male counterpart.  They were quite a distance away.


There were several Kildeer in a small island in by the side of the lake.



A beautiful Snowy Egret!


I went over to Greenfield Lake one day last week as there was supposed to be a Wood Stork hanging out.  I didn't see him but saw a large flock of Great Egrets  It was late in the afternoon so they were really beautiful against their backgrounds.

 

Here is one sitting in the water.







There were also several Pied Billed Grebes as well as an Osprey (I didn't get a good picture of him as he was too far away).



Last but not least is an Eastern Phoebe who was sitting in a tree at my daughter's house.  Before I blew up the picture at home, I thought it was a Yellow Rumped Warbler.  


Birds have been much more scarce this year than other years as there always seems to be people walking around in my favorite sites.  Hard to believe, but there hasn't even been the usual flock of Laughing Gulls that I have always taken for granted.  Covid has increased the population down here on the island substantially this year.  




















 

No comments: