This is the Passacaglia design wall as it now stands. I am working on the fourth large rosette as well as several of the rosettes that have 8 stars around them.
After messing up the order of the hexagons a couple of times, I finally put them into piles in the order that they are to be sewn. This made life one heck off a lot easier! I start by sewing the upper two on the right and add the bottom right; then i sew the two upper left together and add the bottom left. You leave the two sides of the hexagons separate as they are sewed up in rows.
I have made it much scrappier than any other version I have seen. I calmed it down a bit by moving some of the "sides" around so that the yellows came together as well as the beiges. This helps the eye to rest a bit I think. I like the optical illusion of big blocks and little blocks.
I turned it upside down and you get a bit of a different optical illusion but you have to look at the light areas more intently to get it to work.
It has been driving me a little crazy the past few days trying to figure out how to make this a little different and give your eye a bit more of a rest without making it boring. I finally decided what to do this afternoon. I will be taking out (maybe these blocks but who knows) a couple or few blocks and replace them with another hexagonal block. You will have to come back to see what that is! I also have decided yet how large to make the quilt. I will probably trade out a couple more sides so that there are a few lights with peach on both sides. I think keeping the same color (although not the same fabric) will help. If I had the patience, I would probably also do this with the darks and medium but that will have to be the next quilt! Trying to also decide whether this would be a decent baby quilt or not as it is blocks!