Tuesday, August 2, 2022

UFOs


I decided not to start any new projects for now as it would probably just be another stack and whack!  I have a box of excess blocks, UFOs, sewn together strips and other miscellaneous projects.  I did a cursory look through the box and pulled out a bunch of square blocks and some projects from long ago!

This was a runner that I did when showing a group of women how to do a disappearing 9 patch.  I didn't care for it as it was just too dark so never finished it.  I decided to incorporate it into a quilt with cuts from those huge sets of strips that I have.  Here is auditioning to see how it would look with the strips interspersed with white or off-white.  It's a go.


This was a combination of several leftover stack and whack blocks for a quilt I once completed (and I have no idea where it might be!).  I decided to combine it with some pieces that I cut up some time ago from another quilt that didn't make it.  I was going to use them in combination with some bird blocks I had bought for practically nothing from a guild member.  I will add some white and probably some solids strips to make it wide enough for a quilt.



This is my conundrum though!  I made this 40 x 40 inch top in a Nancy Crow class in 1992 -- yes 30 years ago when I found it even more difficult to leave the "block" concept in quilting.  It is made up of 25 of these blocks.  I would love to find a use for it and would donate it for a baby quilt but it may just be too ugly.  I am going to surround it with a dark border in hopes that will bring it a little bit together.  Currently it has a pale yellow border (not shown).  Is there any hope?

This was easily the most shocking discovery!  I had 13 blocks leftover from a Baltimore Album quilt started 40 years ago and finished about 5 years ago.  The 2 center blocks are the bird blocks and I think they have to go as they just look lost.  I have 2 more unfinished blocks and 1 that is slightly stained with red splotch.  I am thinking I am somehow going to resurrect two of these three and put them in the middle.  One thing I did decided, however, was to use the "quilt as you go" method to quilt this quilt.  This was a relief as I didn't want to hand quilt this one. (I did hand quilt the original).  One of the blocks is really from another class I took some time ago but it blends okay with the Baltimore Album blocks.

 

No comments: