Monday, December 7, 2009

A New Tern of Events

Well, I hoped to see the different varieties of terns today but did see two of the more frequent visitors -- the Royal Tern and the Sandwich Tern. My favorite is the Black Skimmer but I didn't see any this morning.


This is the royal tern which has the black tuft and a golden beak.


These are the sandwich terns which are a bit smaller. They have a black beak and also a black tuft.




The cormorants were again posing this morning. You can see that sun has finally arrived back in Florida!





This is the Semi-Palmated Plover which I saw yesterday as well.







This is the Black Bellied Plover which was a new one to me this morning. My sister says that there are five varieties of plover on the beaches here. Hopefully I will be able to identify all of them!




I think this is some kind of warbler but not a good enough picture to identify.
I believe this is a Pine Warbler but I may be wrong. He was bright yellow underneath.

In keeping with the theme of the last two days, the ibis decided to take a drink today from the pool but must have thought two was safer than one. None of these birds seems to mind me sitting there at all -- very brazen.




No comments: