Tuesday, January 26, 2010

When is a House Finch Not a House Finch?

The sun is very bright when I take my morning walk to get the paper but I try to capture images of birds I meet along the way but sometimes I guess wrong!! Many times I have seen house finches down here and seeing the red breast on several birds off in the distance, I assumed that is what I was seeing.

However, when I got home, I discovered several pictures of the Eastern Bluebird. I wasn't allowed to claim seeing one earlier in the year (by Bill) because I didn't have a picture! (Sorry Gail, I don't have much choice but to photo on electric lines as the birds REALLY disappear into the trees here!)


I believe this is a Song Sparrow but could be a Savannah Sparrow which is common down here as well. I have seen him several times.





Nothing exciting about a Blue Jay but boy did he hide in a hurry after I took this picture. The prevalent tree down here is the Live Oak which provides a wonderful habitat and hiding place for the birds. Two blocks behind us is a forever wild area that is just teeming with birds but really hard to ever get a picture because of the foliage.

Back inside as it was a bit rainy (okay, very rainy) for a couple of days which provided me ample motivation to sew together all those bags of strips I have left over from very, very old projects. I am basically making yardage which I will use in wearables, totes and maybe as borders in a quilt or two. I have made up about five yards of fabric using these different width puple, blue and green strips. It is actually quite fun.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Every time I think I have gotten good at identifying birds I just look at the sparrows and I am put back in line! I don't think I will ever get the sparrows identified correctly.

Gail said...

Beth - at least you got the whole bird! Great shots!