Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Great Blue Heron is Ready to Take Flight...

George just can't help himself. He feels compelled to help me complete everything and today was no exception!

I have been extremely lazy since returning from NC, partly because of a myriad of postponed doctor and dentist appointments which have distracted me.

Two nights ago I decided, enough and have been setting myself modest daily goals again. This always works to get me back on track. The first of these goals was to do the little bit of sewing needed to complete the Great Blue Heron which has been languishing on my design wall for a couple of months.

I literally had lopped off a bunch of background before I left to move his position on the piece. He had called out for some grass and land before I left for NC and I finally complied and did some hand applique to finish him up. I then sewed on his border blocks (aptly named Great Blue Heron).

Now to baste him and start the quilting. He is going to have some thread painting to give him his fancy blowing feathers in front as well as some additional grass I think! He measures about 30 x 48 inches and includes a bunch of my hand dyed fabrics. I am relatively pleased with him although reminded that someone commented on SAQA just a couple of weeks ago that they couldn't bear to see one more Great Blue Heron standing in grass! Oops, guess she won't be pleased! However, I like him and he will love residing at the beach house!

1 comment:

Claire Welch said...

The Heron has to go in the quilt show so don't take him to Carolina until after June, 2011. I love the traditional block as the side border!