Sunday, January 9, 2011

Another Walk at the Park

The weather was downright chilly this morning although by noon we could sit outside without freezing (the wind was coming from the northwest so the house effectively blocks it). For my afternoon walk, I again chose Carolina Beach Lake Park and its nice (but smelly) walk around the drained freshwater pond. In amongst the reeds I spotted this Common Moorhen who was easy to identify. He quickly escaped deep in the reeds once he saw me.
The scaups were there as well and this was a good closeup of one of the male Lesser Scaups. Of course there were lots of Coots as well but even I think I have enough Coot pictures!

The pelicans were on parade today and they are beginning to get their mating plummage.

I loved the beautiful green on the rather common male Mallard! Common doesn't negate pretty.



No comments: