Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Just a Few More Bird Pictures...

The weather has gotten a bit rainy the last couple of days but before that I managed a walk down at my now favorite place! There were a ton of people as it was Sunday but I still managed to see a new bird for me. This is a Dunlin which is a relatively small sandpiper with a very long bill! They kind of look like the Sanderlings with a long beak!! There was just one there. There were a lot of Sanderlings though!! I have a feeling I have seen these birds before but wasn't looking carefully enough. Like working in a series, you start to see the pattern and then look for divergent images. Eventually your observing skills become keener.

It was a day for peculiar behaviors though -- look at t his cute little Pied Billed Grebe with his feathers all fluffed out. Both the grebes were doing this.

There were three Shovelers there today and at one point they were kind of dancing on the water next to each other. They were very far away but you can see his "shoveled" bill here better than the last pictures!

In amongst all the Kildeers was one lone Ruddy Turnstone with his bright orange legs. It would be fun to see all these birds in their brighter breeding plummage.
I know I said no more Coot pictures but look at this closeup where you can see the red on his forehead. They certainly look like their cousins the Moorhens.

Later I picked up Warren from his walk down at Ft. Fisher and this Boat Tailed Grackle was sitting right in front of me. I liked his pose even though these are all over the place!

These birds all continue to inspire me and I definitely see a few more pictoral quilts with some of my favorites! (Lisa may even let me put them up on the walls here!)


In the meantime, I have finished 4 more tops and have 5 more well along so that will be 29 down and 1 to go with 2 weeks to do it. It is amazing how much regular thread I have used as well as how heavy the pile of these tops is! I haven't even touched the strips yet!





No comments: