Thursday, April 12, 2012

April RAFA Meeting and the Spring Serendipity Quilt

I don't seem to tire doing these quilts as they are really quite challenging.  I start with one idea and inevitably the quilt takes over and then I just have to find fabric to keep up with it!  I wasn't going to use any  yellow or gold in this quilt when I started!  First I used a very pale yellow in the top and bottom middle blocks and didn't like them very well.  Then I moved to stronger colors -- the two middle blocks in the center row and the middle blocks on either side.  The top and bottom blocks on the outside row were made to pull all the colors together.  So much for no additional yellow!!  I did keep the pink out though.


This is the focus fabric used in the kalaidoscopic part of the quilt.  It is a nice spring print although on a black background.  I did like the blocks it made!


We had our RAFA meeting for April today with a very sparse group as many of our regulars were setting up for a quilt guild show.  Elaine bought this background fabric on her trip through the east earlier  -- what a wonderful use of a marbled fabric and don't you just love the tree.


Elaine also made this fabulous quilt inspired by the beach.  Just loved it -- may make one for myself and maybe Lisa will even let me hang it at the beach house!!


This was a very summery looking quilt done by the other Beth in our group.  She is relatively new to quilting and this was the first time she used someone else's  pattern rather than her own design but she loved the fabric!


I was glad I went to the meeting today as an old member was there that I hadn't seen in some time -- figured it was because I was away so much but it turns out that she moved to her house in Savannah in December and gave up the Rochester residence.  So I may see her some time in the future in her new environs.


I am heading down south tomorrow for a visit with Lisa in Charlotte and then to Ft. Myers next week to visit with my sister and her husband so busy times ahead.  I will eventually land at the beach house at some point as  yet to be determined!!  I will be doing some cat sitting during this time.  Should be arriving back here sometime in May depending upon Lisa's scheduled out of town time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are cute. You know where I can find a quilt designed like the official flag of Africa? I need it for a graduation gift for my girl's niece Lil' Taytay. Any advice much appreciated.