Friday, November 20, 2015

A New Setting for a Stroll

A new place has been added to my daily perusals of potential birds down here.  It is the Air Force Recreation area which is right in Kure Beach.  Recently they  have upgraded all the housing and it looks just beautiful.  They actually hold festivals down here a couple of times a year.  Late in the afternoon, I can often find birds flitting around and quite often a number of deer.  A couple of days ago the latter was the case!!  They seemed to be does and many fawns and in several separate places.  They were curious and I thought they might come right up to the car as several were headed that way.  I see deer down on the island a couple of times a week and am very cautious driving at dusk!!

Here is one of the cute fawns although he  no longer has his spots.  He and a couple of others were literally playing in the field which would have been better with video!  You can see his size from the fence behind him.

I did catch them mid-play here.  They were dashing all over the field.

Just a closeup which didn't even require a telephoto lens!  She came right over to the car to see who was there.

I was surprised at how good a picture of the bluebird I was able to get.  There always seem to be a lot of them at this location.

There has been quite a bit of rain both this month and last month down here and this has created ponds where there weren't any before and this was true of the recreation area which housed two newly created shallow ponds.  Here are a Dunlin and the much smaller Least Sandpiper.


This is one of the Dunlins.

This is a closeup of the Least Sandpiper.  Would have been hard to identify if it hadn't been the size comparison with the Dunlin.

This is a slightly blurry Semi-palmated Plover.  I see these down at the basin fairly often but hadn't seen one yet this year.  

There were lots and lots of Killdeer and thought this was a particularly good picture of one.

Down by the shoreline, I caught a glimpse of this Great Black-backed gull.  We see this frequently down here.

I am still gimping around down here.  It has been two months and the elevator despite vast infusions of cash is still not working....I'd get angry but not sure it would do any good...  It is driving my husband crazy as he is pretty sure he knows what is wrong, but the guy won't listen to him -- my husband is literally gifted at mechanical things which this guy is not...


No comments: