Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The Last of the Strips Finally

I finished the quilt top I started the other day and here is the beginning of placing the strips.  I cut the long rows of strips 40 inches long by 4 1/2 inches wide.  The turquoise strips are 1 1/2 inches wide.  The four patches are on point and of course are made up of the 1 1/2 inch left over strips.  The amazing thing is that I just used the leftover sections from cutting out the triangles out of the four strips sections and I still have some more left!  The white triangles are quarter square triangles cut from a 4 1/4 inch square.  I kind of rounded up the math to get that size which worked out beautifully as there was only a little trimming and I would rather have oversized triangles than those just the perfect size.

All the strips are finally made and up on the design wall.

And here it is all finished!!  I have enough of the long strips to make one more like this and then one where I substitute some solid strips for a couple of the columns.  I kind of like this one!  I liked the last two as well.  After that, any remaining strips will go in the scrap pile to be given away!  I do get tired of the same fabric all the time.  Good thing I had a 25 yard bolt of white from Joanns that I bought back when you could get it for $1.50/yard with your 50% off coupon!!  I am down to about 10 yards after all the quilts I have been doing!

Now I am working on a baby quilt for my daughter to give to friends who have designated her as a god parent.  I am not completely happy with it but I like the backing and it has beachy stuff in it.  I ended up "fussy cutting" the central motifs which aren't as bright as the squares accompanying.  Pictures will follow after a short trip to northern North Carolina and the Outer Banks to get my last winter look at the Tundra Swans and wintering ducks.

No comments: