Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Part III - Down Maine - Naples, Acadia National Park and Portland Maine

Our first stop in Maine was in Naples Maine where we took a ride down the river on the Songa Queen. It was a nice day which I can't say for many of our days in Maine! 

This is Mt. Washington off in the distance.

No trip would be complete without some birds.  This is a Common Loon with his winter plummage.  We also saw tons of turkeys along our way by the side of the road.

Our next stop was Acadia National Park which is just outside Bar Harbor Maine.  We first took a bus trip and then drove up ourselves through the park to the top of Mt. Cadillac.  The park is beautiful and not at all what I expected!  I am so used to seeing low lying lands near the water and in no way expected to see nothing but rugged rocky coasts, and mountains with little discernible beaches.  The coastline was gorgeous as was the drive around the park.  Would love to come back when the puffins are nesting.  

 This was a series of pictures taken in our ride through the park.  It was overcast and drizzly.








This was overlooking the bay at Acadia.

We then headed down the coast to Portland Maine.  The weather was just awful there but we took a really fun boat ride on the mail boat which I highly recommend.  It darts to the various islands to deliver mail and packages.  I had no idea that areas like this existed outside of books!  The coast was just dotted with these small islands high up off the water.

This is a Common Eider.  I saw lots of these but the weather was so bad, I only got pictures good enough to identify the bird.  I did get one picture of the very colorful male but it is too blurry to post -- but good enough to clearly identify the bird.  From Portand we headed down the coast to Boston.  

2 comments:

Bette said...

I grew up in burlington VT, Lived much of my adult life in Geneseo NY, now live in VA near Roanoke. The pictures of your trip remind me of time spent long ago in each area. Thank you for sharing your trip and bringing back wonderful memories. I always love your blog.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for your nice comments!! I really do enjoy doing the blog and sharing a little knowledge and pictures of nice places and wildlife!