Saturday, March 23, 2019

A QBTS Evening with Kelly Ashton

Our speaker on Monday night was Kelly Ashton.  She was incredibly entertaining and I would highly recommend her to any guild for a program.  She taught a class on the Inner City block which I missed as I had double booked myself!  

She shared an incredible number of vintage and antique quilts which all had the 60 degree angle in common.  She has a book out on all the variations and how to make them as well as a line of specialized rulers and individual patterns. This quilt here is one she created.

As my blog followers know, I am pretty obsessed with hexagons myself having created over 30 last summer.  I also am a huge fan of radial symmetry as can be seen from the dyed mandalas I have been doing the last couple of years! More to come this week!


The following are some of the vintage and antique quilts and tops she shared.  Some pics are better than others! 

I have quite a few of these vintage quilts at home as well.  She was very good at identifying the age of the quilts from the fabrics.  


This was a Tumbling Blocks quilts where the quilter didn't put them all going in the right direction!



Loved this one.






Another o my favorites!




I believe this is the family quilt which inspired her journey into hexagons - a beautifully made Grandmother's Flower Garden.

No comments: