Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The Official Hidden Wells Arrangement!

This is the Hidden Wells Version 1 finished.  In this version you line up all the square sandwiches with the identical orientations.

Before I started sewing strips together, I decided to test sewing a bunch of 1 inch strips together of random fabric from my huge strip collection!!  This shows what I will call Hidden Wells  Version 2.

This is the second set of strips I decided to try and decided to make two blocks just to make sure I have it right!  You will notice the horizontal squares are both the same while the two vertical arrangements are mirror images.  You stack an upper square and a lower square and then sew 1/4 inch seam around the whole outside.  Then you make two diagonal cuts and open up which results in four squares.

I always like to test a couple to see if I find the color arrangement pleasing before I commit to cutting the 5 additional strip sets.  This particular strip set is 10 1/2 inches wide so you can get four cuts out of a 45 inch wide strip.  This results in two blocks which are about 13 inches finished.  

Four are finished but unfortunately I cut one set too big and then had to scrounge around for some fabric that would match so I could remake the bottom right squares.  Measure twice, cut once is a good maxim that would have prevented this mishap!

Now I have six done.  Like in the other quilt, I have used a variety of fabrics in the filler areas -- the yellow and the lime green areas as I didn't cut up a lot of the 1 1/2 strips like I did the others.  The width of the strips was 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 1 1/2  inches resulting in the 10 1/2 inch wide strip which is ideal for not wasting.    These six blocks comprise half the finished top which will measure about 39 inches by 52 inches before I add borders -- nice size.  Really the most difficult part of this is the sewing together as there are lots of seams to match.  I may try one with just four 2 1/2 inch segments like my very first block, but with the new arrangement.  We shall see!  Instead of Stack and Whacks for charity, this year there will be Hidden Wells!


No comments: