Sunday, February 20, 2022

What to Do With 400 Half Square Triangles and the Latest Delectable Mountains!

I fooishly decided to make a king-sized Delectable Mtns quilt with the "layer cake" batiks I had picking out the darker colors including greens, blues, purples and a few neutrals.  I also added a few from my reject hand dyes that were in the right color family.  The top will measure 96 x 90 without borders when finished.  I am doing it in four sections to ease with basting and machine quilting. This is the first section completed.  Altogether there are 120 blocks!  It didn't really take that long though as this block is deceptively easy, just a lot of cutting!

Here are the first two sections done lined up next to each other.  It is looking a little better to me now.

This is the third section done.

This is the third and fourth sections done.  The sun is making the right side look too bright!


All four sections are done and pinned up but couldn't get the camera back far enough to see the whole thing!  Of course the sun is still shining brightly.  I guess it is okay.  Not sure whether it will end up on one of my beds are not though.

I took the paler and brighter of the "layer cakes" and made 400 half square triangles!!  I intended to use a portion of these to make a quilt from a free pattern I found that looks like blocks are piled on top of one another.  I always test things before I get too far.  Thankfully I did in this case!

This was the first nesting pair and wow, I don't like it at all!  I think the pattern would be much better with fairly wildly printed fabrics so the contrast would not be so drastic  Even with printed fabrics around the half square triangles, it was not enough.  I only made six of each of these so can incorporate them into something else.  Each block is 8 1/2 inches square unfinished.


I actually liked this better but think I am going to skip the bright reds altogether when putting this together.  Right now my thinking is to make some dark blue half square triangles and use the yellow ones as well and make a primary color top which I will definitely donate somewhere!  I don't do primary colors together!  I rarely use red in anything except my black and white quilts.  



.







 

No comments: