Saturday, December 6, 2008

Egret, Egret, Pelican, Heron, Heron, Merganser

Well, we have been in Florida for almost a week, and it is really really easy to get used to! The weather was a little chilly the first couple of days which was fine with me as the beaches were deserted and I could pick up shells with no competition!!

As usual, the birds really continue to entertain me every day. This year I have seen several species in the "back yard" that I haven't seen in previous years so more picture opportunities. I brought along the big Audubon guide this year just to help more. I have literally seen almost every wading bird native to Florida behind the Inn where I sit reading (but usually taking pictures). My challenge to myself this year is to take pictures of birds in motion. I can sense when the pelicans will take off but have had less luck with the egrets and herons.

Our first day we actually saw a bald eagle when we walked down to the park about a mile down the beach.This is a very fuzzy picture as I didn't have my camera set on long distance!!


We also were up close and personal with an osprey that always nests there. She is giving me a very dirty look although didn't seem to mind my presence too muchy.

My sister arrives today so we will get together with her for breakfast tomorrow morning. She and her husband own a condo in Ft. Myers very close to the library where I am now sitting!


This is a red breasted merganser which was swimming around in the canal behind the Inn where we stay. Haven't seen one of these before. They are migratory and spend most of their time way, way north in Alaska and north of Maine.

This is one of the many egrets and other birds that take drinks from the pool at the Inn. They stand about 3 feet away from you now.

This is of course my very favorite which is three pelicans patiently waiting for the guy next door to throw his fish leavings to them. These are three adults which are beginning to have their mating plummage (the gold heads). I just love them!!!






No comments: