Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Going to India Vicariously!

Priscilla Kibbee just got back from one of her sensational trips overseas (her blog is noted on my sidebar) with many treasures as usual. Of course Marcia and I had to go over and see what she brought back this time. Part of the fun is having Priscilla pull out each pile and tell us about it so that we can purchase a token or two for our own stashes.


An even larger part of the fun is seeing the pieces that Priscilla is keeping for herself!! This incredible applique and embroidered piece is one of those that she is keeping (although she said originally she planned to sell it but loved it like we did). Wow is all I can say for some of the things she picked up this time. She explained that even though she was in India for two weeks, all her shopping basically took place during the last 36 hours in Delhi! She just had to fill those two suitcases. I greatly benefitted from this as she had brought back some wooden stamps (which I love) and which never would have made the cut as they are quite heavy.

This picture and the next one are very detailed painted silks -- just amazing. She had some smaller pieces that she will be selling.




This is one of two embroidered silk pieces that are just huge (36 inches x 80 inches) which she brought back. This is all hand embroidery with tiny stitches all over. I believe this is called Kantha embroidery and is done mostly by the people of West Bengal (I believe Priscilla got it in Delhi). They are finished like scarves (or really shawls they are so large). Probably double clicking will you a better idea of the detail in these. I bought one last year that was covered with all different kinds of animals and it remains one of my favorite pieces.

I saw this piece and fell in love! It is the second of the embroidered silk pieces and I am sure Priscilla was thinking of me and my birds when she purchased it knowing I wouldn't be able to resist! It is stunning to say the least and had to come home with me. There are easily 100,000 individual stitches in this -- probably twice to three times that. The workmanship is spectacular - the kind of fine work you saw in our American quilts from the early 1800s. And you just know that she has even better pieces in her collection!! Those areas that look appliqued are really embroidered even to the solid looking patterns on the sides. They are all just tiny running stitches. I am not sure if the embroidery is silk or cotton thread but it does feel like silk. Of course I also felt compelled to buy some of her luscious silk scarves and a few doodads for decoration on garments! I kept reasonably under control.

No comments: