Thursday, April 8, 2010

GVQC - April Meeting

Spring is here! We are having a few minutes of sunshine between rain showers so decided Joe's daffodils next door needed blog exposure!


This is Marcia Eygabroat with a quilt she did for her new twin granddaughters. She is an award winning quilter who designs and makes these beautiful pictoral quilts. Her big claim to fame is that she used to live on the same street I have the beach house in Kure!
The next four pictures are from a distance and the best you can do with a little less light. They are the product of a round robin that was organized by some quilt club members. I couldn't believe how many people were involved as quilts and tops kept streaming across the stage! Today was the day they got back their quilts!







This was a completed piece started in the Velda Newman workshop from last month!



Janet Fogg was our speaker and will be doing the workshoop over the next couple of days. Her quilts are magnificent but she didn't want any pictures to be put on the internet so... She incorporates pictorals and traditional blocks together into her quilts.

This is the progress on the heron. None of the pieces are sewn together yet, just taped onto the master pattern in sections. Those two really light pieces in his chest are history. They were a nice stripey fabric but the value is all wrong so I have decided that all the fluffy chest feathers are going to be machine embroidered rather than attempting to piece them randomly although I may keep a couple that are hanging out on the left side and then machine quilt some more.

The blues and blue/greens are the fabrics I am auditioning for the background. This may be where I employ some of Janet's techniques (although mine will be a lot more subtle and will be background rather than a "leading" design element). I may chose, however, just to do a curved pieced background like I did in my Yellowstone pieces (long curved pieces of different fabrics horizontally). I will use whole pieces on the bottom of some of my hand painted/dyed fabrics.

No comments: