Friday, September 17, 2010

Bird and Butterfly...

Playing with my camera yesterday to see if I could get better closeups from a distance, I stumbled upon another butterfly. I was up on the third floor and it was only about 2 inches across but finally got a reasonably decent picture. This is the Common Buckeye as can be seen from the prominent eyes on the back of its wings. I continue to be amazed by the number of butterflies down here. Common birds have been pretty much absent although mockingbirds have started their serenades the last couple of days.
There have been a number of gulls, terns and sandpipers on the beach but generally I don't take my new camera down there. This is the very common willet. It is surprising that when there are people on the beach that the birds totally disappear. During the week, we are many times the only ones and delight at the skittering of the sanderlings and sandpipers at the tide line. Warren has taken his kayak to a veritable bird sanctuary which is not accessible by foot and has seen large groups of herons, ibis and oystercatchers. Maybe I can convince him to bring our little rubber boat and engine next time we come down!
I have been sewing in the evenings and have finished the blocks for two more one block wonder quilts -- now just to find a design wall to put them together on... Sitting on the porch watching the waves and reading books has been my primary occupation though! What a slug I have been!

No comments: