Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Trip to the Secret Beach

This was taken from my porch looking down on the empty lot across the street where two ibis had decided to come for their Friday brunch! Didn't have to leave home for these!

Well, it isn't the season to see any significant bird life on the secret beach but I made a trip down there anyway the other day at low tide. I just love seeing the waves breaking on the seaweed covered sandstone which is strewn over the beach. It is a very strange sight on these normally just sandy beaches. There were only the usual sanderlings and a few ruddy turnstones though but I managed to take 100 pictures anyway. It is just too easy with this new camera!!

You can see a couple of ruddy turnstones with the more common sanderlings which are about the same size. The ruddy turnstones have bright orange legs and black bibs.


I like the texture of the rocks and seaweed here.



I have finally hunkered down and done some sewing as well putting together a pile of about 30 nine-patches which will translate into 120 9 in 4 patches. These blocks will all be used to make "comfort quilts" for our quilt club. Even after making all these blocks, I can just barely see the piles of squares getting smaller. The sad part is that I actually went to JoAnns today and bought some cottons solids for the block centers as I actually was out of the ones I had cut from the scraps. So sad when you don't have your stash there from which to draw!

Stay tuned! My next post will be from Ft. Myers Beach where I will be for a short time enjoying even warmer weather and visiting with family and friends!

No comments: