Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Lions are Beginning to Purr....

Even though it doesn't look like much yet, this is actually three sections almost done on the quilt top I have been working on from a design standpoint for months. I decided to start with piecing the background on this one rather than the foreground as I was a bit intimidated by the detail work. It was a wise decision as It is beginning to be easier to work on. This stage literally involves putting pieces together like a jigsaw puzzle -- a very detailed one!! There are 31 sections and probably over 1000 individual pieces which all will be backed with their freezer paper templates. I have been working on it a section at a time. There is some risk in this approach as there will probably be some "do overs" if the sections to merge well color and value wise! Ruth McDowells recommends putting all the fabric up before sewing anything together but I wouldn't finish this one in a lifetime.


This is Marcia in a jacket made from fabric she got from a friend who is retiring from dyeing. It's even nicer in person!


Last week was spent working on the beginning of fabric placement on my lions quilt top. Yesterday was spent at Marcia's beginning to actually construct the top (as you can see above). None of this started, however, until I had regaled Priscilla and Marcia with synopses of the latest old Colin Firth movies I had seen since last we met! I have been obsessed since seeing The King's Speech which is easily one of the most perfect movies I have ever watched! I don't mind being the butt of the amusement my obsession has provided to these ladies!! It is always good to laugh first thing in the morning. I do feel like, however, that I could start a standup routine on this!!

This is Marcia's latest quilt (although the bottom part was blocked by a table). It really is quite wonderful.

And oh, my! This is what greeted me when I entered Marcia's studio. It is the quilt top that Priscilla has almost finished (only needs its borders). It is made with all Kaffe Fassett fabrics (which I LOVE) and is just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!




Priscilla is also well on her way to finishing this top in anticipation of a juried exhibit coming up. Marcia also encouraged her to enter it into other quilt venues. Priscilla is such a perfectionist, we may have to do some convincing along the way!!
It is always such a pleasure to work in Marcia's studio with such great company!

No comments: