Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Working at Marcia's

George is smiling because he has just prevented me from basting another quilt!! Every time I tried to put in some pins, George would move across the table so that I couldn't add any more. Eventually he just stretched out as far as he could and fell sound asleep, thus stopping any forward progress!

My days at Marcia's have been consumed with moving forward with the lions piece. Finally the whole pattern was marked and the freezer paper templates were created and placed into plastic bags. Every piece of brown fabric I own has been sorted into yellow browns, orange browns, red browns and blue browns and then into gradations. Artistic license has permitted me to change the background from yet more beiges and browns into a subdued green so that the lions will show up more! The lions really do have a lot of variety in their coats and will have to emphasize that to get them to show up.

This is my pieced background beginnings (for the lions). There is a lot of background in my lions piece so I had to make up quite a bit of "yardage". I like to have pieced backgrounds for my pictorals rather than using one piece of fabric.

Marcia, Jeanne and Priscilla are readying pieces to hopefully be juried into a new Pat Pauly challenge. We will keep our fingers crossed for them and look forward to seeing the final selection. Below is Priscilla's potential entry.

Priscilla continues to make progress on her hosta piece being developed for Pat's challenge.
This is a recent piece that Jeanne S has done and we all thought it was really beautiful. It started with one of Jeanne's photographs and then converted some imagery into digitally created fabric. I really think it has a lot of depth and of course her color choices are always superb.




This was a piece of commercial batik fabric that I would have stolen if Jeanne had left the room long enough!! So guess I will just have to try and recreate myself! I like the gradation of color and think this would be pretty easy to duplicate (although the color not quite as easy).

These were my fabric choices for the background laid out. I had pulled out some potential candidates (the bottom pile) as they provided too much contrast.

This is Marcia's most recent jacket. Priscilla is helping her adjust the shoulder pads so that they are placed correctly.
This shows the back of the jacket of course showcasing some of Priscilla's finds in India as well as her other worldwild travels.

No comments: