(1) Plan how much and colors
(2) Make up the dyes
(3) Mark the fabrics
(4) Set up the "pots" with the right amount of water and dye and put in fabric
(5) Make up soda ash solution and add to pots
(9) Sort by second set of dyes
(10) Repeat steps 4-8
This is the pile of 70 yards that I ended up with and actually managed to not cripple my back with the water and fabric hauling! I liked them all except for three which I will overdye with navy probably to make them browner. I got some great reds and some nice greens as well. Never can have too much green or too many colors of green!
Here are all the colors! Looks like burnt orange should be between the tangerine and strong orange. I do love strong orange and the new pure navy blues that come from Pro Chem. When added together they make awesome browns and blacks (1:1 for brown and 2:1 navy to str or for black). My first set of pots were the sun yellow through burnt orange overdyed with the blues and reds. All the names I used are ProChem names as those are the MX dyes I use.
I decided I wanted some more lighter greens that were a bit more like lime so used some 10:1 sun yellow to turquoise and basic blue. I liked the basic blue ones better (the top ones) but may try a 20:1 sun yellow to turquoise to see what color I get. It is amazing how little you need of some dyes to shift the color quite a bit. Same is true of shifting fuchsia to bright red. I was amazed at how even the color was on the fuchsia pieces. I must have really done a lot of mushing!!! I also have found that I need to add a little more water to the darker colors. Altogether, I dyed 90 yards with the overdyeing and the greens. Another 40 yards are being washed out now! If I can get 500 yards done this summer, I will be happy. I have all sorts of non-cotton fabrics, yarns and other fibers to play with as well. I think I will get a large bag of ice and try my hand at some ice dyeing using the colors I have been working with. And then there are the t-shirts.....
Amid all of this dyeing, we have been picking, pitting and preserving sour cherries from our tree. We covered it with netting to keep away the birds and squirrels and managed to get almost 2 pecks (16 quarts) this year!!! We left the netting off after we picked the last big amount and by the next morning all the remaining cherries were gone!!! Shows how well the netting works!!