Monday, November 12, 2018

QBTS Neo-natal Quilt/Open Sewing Day

I will open the post with my quilt top which I finished in about 4 1/2 hours and measures 39 x 50.  Several people have asked about the pattern.  I originally found it on Judy Simmon's blog where they were using it for charity quilts.  It is quick and easy and fun to do.  

Directions:  Cut 2 inch strips of multiple bright fabrics -- fat quarters are great for this but even those 10 inch squares are good.  Sew a lightish and darkish one together and then cut into 2 in segments.  Make random 4-patches.

Meanwhile cut black and white fabric into 3 1/2 inch x 7 1/2 patches.  Try to get half black on white and half white on black.  Attach four patches to each of these black and white strips.  Sew a row of dark four patch strips and then a row of light four patch strips.  Each strip will finish 3 inches wide so make as wide as you want.  Each four patch/black and white patch finishes to 10 inches long.  Alternate a dark row and a light row, placing the four patch on the bottom on the lights and on the top on the darks.  It goes together really easily.  I don't ever put borders but do put a bright red or green binding on them.

Of course you could substitute light and dark valued fabrics for the black and whites but I would recommend then using the same color four patches throughout to kind of pull it together.  I have seen them with black and white four patches.  Four patches are just a great start to so many quilts I think.

These quilts were already done showing one of the kits available to make.

There were several people constructing tops and several who were quilting already completed tops.

I really liked this pattern and may do this one myself. 

Another version of it. 
Great colors!

Another one of the kits that was available finished! 

These wild colors really worked together!

Finishing up the quilting on this top that was turned in!  I really liked this one -- very muted colors.







No comments: