Thursday, December 26, 2019

A New Quilt and Some Birds

Well to start out, this is not my design wall but my sister's who is in the process of doing two quilts.  The purple one is for an auction and the other just for fun.  I happily contributed some of my strips for the purple quilt so she wouldn't have to sacrifice going to a quilt shop to buy more fabric!

 Still some birds left from my visit to Florida.  This is an Eastern Phoebe.


 This is a Pine Warbler, one of many that were at the feeder each day.


This is a Tufted Titmouse.


This was a very pretty Blue Jay!

I decided to practice a panel One Block Wonder using this panel that I  bought at Walmart.  It was only $2/yard so the seven yards I needed only cost $14.  The panel is 36 inches wide by 44 inches long!

Instead of my usual just cutting down the middle so I could manage the stacking, I cut it into quarters.  I still had 101 hexagons when I finished cutting.  I eliminated the ones that had the printing on them as well as the border of brown.  The strips were 4 inches wide.

Setting them into something pleasing has  been a real challenge as you can see below.  Having that many hexies is just overwhelming!  The only way I can judge the look is to take photos and adjust.  I am far far from finished!

Managed to put the panel on the center of one of my design walls which was a serious mistake!!  Here I am just throwing up the hexies as I get them done.

Added some more hexies but still on the left design wall.  The hexies are held together in the middle with a thread as you sew the final top together in rows of half hexies.

Still on the left design wall but more hexies finished and an attempt made to arrange some.

Finally moved the panel to the middle and attempting to add more hexies and finding I like the very first arrangement with more of the blue the best.  I have a feeling this is going to take a few days and lots of pictures before I get it where I like it.  I think I have successful merged in the brown areas but having some difficulty with the blue.  We shall see.  Right now it is horizontal, but I think the final will be a vertical arrangement.  However, I have found I have very little say in what happens before all is said and done!!

No comments: