Sunday, March 29, 2020

Back to Mindless Sewing Trying to Keep Busy!

I finally finished machine quilting the two quilts using my ice dyed mandala blocks.  These were the result of trying to find some new settings to show off these blocks which need to be the center of attention.  As a result of doing these, I tried some new machine quilting techniques on the hotpads I showed a couple of blogs ago.

I really liked this one.  Both of these used my hand dyes exclusively except for the back on the large one which used a gorgeous piece of fabric my sister gave me from Hoffman.

This is the aforementioned back!

I am back to doing baby quilt tops again as life is really a jumble now and I need something totally mindless to do -- which does challenge me a bit to try some different things with these simple simple blocks.  I am addicted to four patches!!  Have probably made close to 500 the past couple of weeks and haven't made a dent in my scrap bag!!

Another of the same!

I overachieved on cutting 4 1/2 inch colored squares and this was my first thought on a different arrangement.  I didn't care for it.

Moved some around to make it a bit more random but you can see that there is a pretty controlled color palette in all these quilt tops.

Another one done but boring to do so won't probably do too many more like this.

I had seen a version of this on Pinterest and thought I would try my version.  You will note I have two of the blocks going in the wrong direction!  Funny you don't see that until you take pictures!!  I always take pictures before finishing up a top (and even doing that have an occasional slip).  I do like this arrangement a lot.  I am starting to run out of white though (of the non-PFD variety) so may have to actually go buy a bolt when on super cheap sale at Joann's.  

I have finished half of the putting together here.  It should end up measuring about 35 x 35 before I put on some borders.  
Some birds in my daughter's back yard for your perusal!  This is a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker.


This is a beautiful Bluebird who posed a lot for us the other afternoon.

Her ever present cardinal in all his glory!




No comments: