Thursday, June 16, 2022

Quilt as You Go Quilt is Done!

This and the next post are in the wrong order!Well, here it is done except for the binding..  I was going to go with blue but have since decided that green is a better choice!

My method was modified a bit for putting the rest of the rows together for this quilt.  I had already decided to add another 1/8 of an inch to the back sashing but it was still not quite getting all the stitches to fall outside the sashing on the front.  I finally decided that when I sew down the first piece of the sashing on front with the folded piece in the back, that I will make that first seam very slightly less than 1/4 inch -- more like 7/32, just a 1/32 of an inch less than 1/4.  I also decided that ironing that back piece of sashing in half made things go easier as well.  Before I was just finger pressing.  Attaching the front sashing on the adjoining piece, I still go with the full 1/4 inch.  When I make that final stitching down of the back sashing, I pull it so that it no longer sits on the bump (the seam on front) and sew it down.  It takes some concentration but it really worked almost 100 per cent of the time.  It is also important to line up those vertical pieces of sashing when sewing the horizontal seams which I missed on a couple of rows but too much fussy stitching to take out and do again!  

It really went together very quickly once I got going and it is nice to not have to baste and machine quilt.  I would definitely make larger blocks if I was doing it again however but that will have to wait until I get south where those bags of strips reside.  If I never see these particular strips again, it will be too soon!!
 

No comments: