Thursday, February 9, 2023

Charity Quilt



I decided to interrupt my Farmer's Wife progress with working on a charity quilt using up some of the red strips that I know I won't use for anything else.  One of the other groups I sew for doesn't like red in anything because of the potential of colors running.  We we supposed to bring about 20 colored strips and one solid to the group.  It turns out we were on our own to figure out what to do with them so I decided to go with traditional rail fence.  I made an absolute ton of squares in an hour and a half on my little Featherweight.  Putting them all the design wall like this, I had enough for a single bed quilt. 

However, I just didn't like it.  It felt much too busy to me so then I twisted and turned trying to find something that was more aethetically pleasing to me.  I tried using some black strips and then lining them up in horrizontal rows.


 


I finally came up with this arrangement which I do like!!  All I did was add white strips between each pair.  It kind of looks like a "modern" quilt!  This has inspired me to try mixing and matching some strips in the future.  It  sure doesn't look like rail fence anymore!

I do continue to do the Farmer's Wife 30's blocks and only have a few left to do before I reach my magic number of 90.  There were several in the book I chose not to do and a couple that I couldn't seem to draft at all even though they didn't look at complex.  

This block uses the most different fabrics I have used in any block -- eight!  

This doesn't look that complicated but it was a bear to put together and make sure everything was lined up the way it was supposed to be.


A little tricky!




 

No comments: