Saturday, August 29, 2009

Shrimp -- My Way

Funny how my two favorite shrimp recipes are obviously southern in origin but came to me by very different routes! The Jimbalaya recipe was one of the first things my husband found on the local company internet back when the internet was really new. We changed it a bit and it has been a family favorite ever since. We always make it when shrimp is available.


Jimbalaya

2-4 cloves garlic
1 cup of sausage cooked (I like Jimmy Dean's Hot Sausage best but to be true should use andouille sausage)
1 cup of shrimp
1 cup of cooked chicken cut into small pieces
1/2 cup diced celery
2 cups canned tomato sauce
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like it real spicy)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper

Chop up the garlic and cook (in a little olive oil) with the diced celery until a little browned. Add all the rest of the ingredients (I might pre-cook the shrimp as well just to get rid of some of the liquid) and cook for about 15 minutes. Then serve over rice. I generally double or triple the recipe and freeze the leftovers which taste even better the second time.


This second recipe is adapted from an old edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook and is one of our favorites. It has a nice clean taste and if you add a little more water, might be a good soup as well!

Shrimp Creole

1 medium onion diced
1/2 cup green or red pepper (whole pepper)
1/4 cup diced celery (I generally use more)
1 bay leaf crushed
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne (I generally use more but show some caution here!)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
2 cups water
2 cups cooked shrimp (1 1/2 lbs of shrimp)

Cook onion and celery in olive oil until soft. Stir in remaining ingredients and cook for about 30 minutes. Add shrimp and cook on low for about ten minuntes. Serve over rice. I generally use brown rice these days! Of course like the former, I generally double or triple this recipe and freeze the leftovers for future treats!

A blog is a great place to keep some of your favorite recipes if your filing system is anything like mine!!

Hopefully, I will have some sewing pictures before too long. My kitties have decided that the sewing room and my sewing table are their favorite of all places and make sewing almost impossible. Of course they only come up when I am attempting to sew....

No comments: