Thursday, August 11, 2011

Butterflies are Sure Difficult to Identify!

Well, after much conjecture, I think I can safely say that this is a female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly.  It looks almost identical to a western variety of swallowtail.  The male isn't as colorful and that is what most of the illustrations I found pictured.
This is a side view of the above butterfly.
This, I believe, is a Black Swallowtail but it looks a bit like the Spicebush Swallowtail as well.  Two swallowtails in one day!!  They are the prettiest of our local butterflies I think.

I also spotted the Monarch again today but it was too fast for me.  There were several of the milky white butterflies as well.  The weather has finally cooled down to very pleasant which affords me the opportunity to sit outside, read and watch for new species.

Trying to get things ready to do in NC, I have gotten together almost all my  unfinished quilts, found or made backs and cut batting.  It is a daunting task to finish all these which include:
5 disappearing four patches, 5 disappearing nine-patches (these nine are comfort quilts to be donated), 4 one block wonders (at least double bed sized), 2 random unfinished tops, and the three quilts I made from the strips.  I know that there are at least three other tops stashed somewhere as well as my basket quilt and my Baltimore Album which needs an appliqued border.  So, what does one do?  I think this one will buy myself a midarm as soon as I hit NC so that I can machine quilt these suckers quickly!!  Several of them are destined for beds down there anyway.
These are the beautiful flowers that my dear husband got me for my birthday this week.  I love orchids, Birds of Paradise and orchids so these were all included.  I do love my birthday flowers each year.  They are always all the exotic varieties that I love!

1 comment:

Judy Warner said...

Happy birthday, Beth!