Thursday, August 4, 2011

August RAFA Meeting - Lots of Class Pieces and a Slow Photographer

A number of people at RAFA this week brought in the pieces that they had created in the mono printing demonstration/mini-workshop that I did last month.  I got a lot of positive feedback and a few who said they would be doing more of this.  This was one of Patty's pieces.
Joyce is a nationally  known wearable artist and she had already taken her mono printed fabrics and put them together into a new vest.


Janet must have brought in six or seven pieces to share.  This was from her  recent week long class with Katie Pasquini-Mausopust.  The students painted canvases, cut into the various canvas pieces and then recombined with commercial fabrics.  Janet's were stunning.  She is incredibly prolific as well as a very intuitive designer.


Priscilla also took this class and had a couple of pieces but she moved much too quickly for this photographer.  Hers were beautiful and she loved the class!


Two of the people in the meeting had also tried the ice cube and powdered MX dye technique illustrated in the most recent Quilting Arts magazine.  This is the results of Elaine's efforts -- a stunning piece.  I was a little concerned about this article when I saw it as I feel so strongly that you should always use a mask when working with the powdered dyes and sprinkling over a large surface is just asking for trouble but the results were spectacular. People often think that wearing a mask is just for the overly cautious and don't.  I am not a cautious person for the most part but this and wearing a chemical mask when working with Chlorox are two of my hot buttons.  I would think that using a very high concentration of liquid dyes would work just as well.

1 comment:

Judy Warner said...

Sorry I couldn't be at the meeting, Beth. I would have loved to have seen these pieces in person.