Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Butterfly Bush is in Bloom and the Butterflies are Back!

Warren's garden is really beautiful this year.  It seems to like all the sunshine we have had and the petunias and marigolds are extremely full and add lots of color to the yard.
This was one of the new additions to the garden this year -- a perennial hibiscus with blossoms that are at least 9 inches across.  We have them in this vibrant fuchsia and also a lovely  light pink.
This is a side view of a White Viceroy butterfly -- one I had seen before but hadn't gotten a picture.

This is the back view of the above Viceroy.  You can see the blue on the edges on the back and his prominent white stripes.
This is actually a Monarch and I believe it is the first one I have gotten a picture of!!  I have seen the Painted Ladies and lots of Gulf Fritteries.  This is the side view.
This was definitely a very hard picture to get as most of the time this butterfly had his wings folded up.  I must have just clicked in the split second he opened them up in this shot.  All the butterflies are sitting on my neighbor's butterfly bushes.
This is a butterfly called a Skipper (I don't know which one  yet as there are a lot of skipper varieties) but they are fast moving and only
about an inch long.

1 comment:

Savories of life said...

Very pretty. Come and see my blog giveaway1